You are here: Administrator's Guide > Installation Options
The FME Server installer provides three options for installation: Express, Distributed, and Engine.
The Express option installs all required components, and is the easiest way to install FME Server.
- Install FME Server: Express Installation for Windows
- Install FME Server: Express Installation for Linux
When to Choose the Express Install
Use the Express installation for any of these scenarios:
- You are not concerned about planning for n-tier architecture or fault tolerance. You want to get started quickly with a single installation of FME Server.
- You want to implement an Active-Active Architecture for fault tolerance and/or high capacity. In this scenario, you conduct multiple Express installations (as many as you plan for your network), which you link together using your third-party load balancer.
The Distributed Installation option provides flexibility over which components to install yourself and which are installed automatically.
When to Choose the Distributed Install
Use the Distributed installation for any of these scenarios:
- You want to implement an Active-Passive architecture for fault tolerance.
- You want to implement an n-tier architecture.
- You want finer control over applying security updates to the FME Server web application and database servers.
The Engine installation allows you to build onto a current FME Server installation by Adding FME Engines on a Separate Machine for fault tolerance and/or high capacity.