You can export the contents of FME Server Projects, and import the projects to the same instance, or another instance, of FME Server 2017 or later.
When exporting and importing projects, keep in mind the following:
- If a project contains users:
- You must belong to the fmesuperuser group to export and import.
- The same permissions the user has on the current system apply on the system to which the project is imported, but only on items in the project. Any other permissions the user has on the current system do not carry over.
- The user who performs the import becomes the owner of all items in the project. If the project contains any items of the same name on the system to which the project is imported, and the user does not own these items, the import fails.
- If a project changes after it is exported, but before it is imported, you may want to revert it to its original state, so that it matches the export. For more information, see Removing Projects.
- You may want to update the project version before you export it. The specified version is appended to the .fsproject file that is exported.
- Importing a project triggers only the Project Import system event, if enabled. For example, if a new repository is created on the FME Server as a result of importing a project, the Repository Create event is not triggered.
Note: Any Resources that belong to a project are not included in an export unless the resource is migratable. By default, the DATA, ENGINE, and DASHBOARD Resources are configured for migration. To determine if your resource folders are migratable, open the FME Server configuration file at <FMEServerDir>Server\fmeServerConfig.txt. Locate your resources under FME SERVER SETTINGS START > Shared Resource Management. Resources with a
SHAREDRESOURCE_ISMIGRATABLE_* value of
true are migrated.
- On the Projects page, select a project and click Export. The Configure Export page opens.
- Filename: If desired, edit the .fsproject project configuration filename.
- Export To:
- Resource Location: Saves the project configuration as a .fsproject file to the specified Resources location.
- Download: Downloads the project configuration as a .fsproject file to your local system.
- On the Projects page, click Import. The Configure Import page opens.
- Overwrite Existing Items: If a project configuration of the same .fsproject filename already exists on the current instance, this setting controls the overwrite behavior of the import. If checked, items in the existing project are overwritten by items of the same name in the imported project. If unchecked, only items from the imported configuration that do not exist in the existing project are imported; nothing is overwritten.
When using Overwrite Existing Items, keep in mind the following, depending on the component that is being imported:
- Automations and Notifications: If Yes, Automations workflows, topics, subscribers, and publishers missing on the target project are added; existing ones are updated. A union is performed between topic registrations already present on the target project and topic registrations received from the source.
- Resources: If No, files or folders that are missing are added; existing ones are not updated. If Yes, files or folders that are missing are added; existing ones are updated. In either case, if a root resource of the same name is not defined on the target server, the resource package is not imported.
This option is not available to users who do not belong to the fmesuperuser role. If an import is conducted by a non-fmesuperuser user, the notification service remains active during the import.
To use these items, you must explicitly enable them.
- Upload: Imports a project configuration (.fsproject file) that was downloaded to the system.
- Resource Location: Imports a project configuration (.fsproject file) that was saved to a Resources location.
To View History of Project Import and Export Activity
Select Projects > History. For a log of a particular import or export, click an entry in the table.
Alternatively, you can view both project import/export and FME Server configuration backup/restore history under Backup & Restore > History.