FME Application Extensions are products that use or embed FME functionality in other applications. The exact functionality varies from product to product, but can include the ability to read datasets not native to that application, to export to non-native datasets, or to convert between two non-native formats.
FME can "extend" several different applications. Some extensions are packaged as part of FME, some are sold as add-ons, and some are packaged as part of the other GIS application. Unless they are packaged as part of FME, support for Application Extensions is usually provided by the application vendor.
Using the FME Integration Console, you can extend the following applications with FME functionality:
- Esri ArcGIS Desktop
- Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- FME Exporter for Autodesk Revit
- Hexagon Geospatial Geomedia Desktop
- Pitney Bowes MapInfo Professional
For information about how FME works with other applications, please see Solutions for GIS Applications.
Note: FME does not currently extend any applications on Mac or Linux.
When extending an application using FME Desktop, please be aware of the following:
- 64-bit and 32-bit applications can only be extended with the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of FME, respectively.
- Fixed (node-locked) licenses of FME Desktop will automatically extend compatible third-party software installed on the same system. You can easily revert the extensions.
- FME cannot extend shared applications that are installed on a different machine. FME and the application to be extended must be installed on the same logical machine, whether it is a physical machine or a virtual machine.