A service account is an account that allows a service access to domain components. Properties of service accounts include:
- A service account is not associated with a particular user.
- A service account's username and password can be shared amongst FME Server administrators.
- A service account's username and password can be stored as configuration parameters.
- A service account's password does not expire.
In the context of FME Server and Active Directory:
- FME Server is a service.
- A service account accesses Active Directory on behalf of FME Server.
It is possible to configure FME Server to integrate with Active Directory without a service account. However, the following features will be unavailable: